Marker #236 - 1983. (From Comfort take Old State Road 9 fourteen miles to house in Bankersmith.)
Two story rock, attached to an earlier 1 1/2 story rock with shallower roof pitch; end chimneys.
August Ebers, a German immigrant, built the east portion of this large stone house. It included a kitchen, a "big room" and the upstairs loft bedroom. Before 1880 the west wing was added. Ebers was killed in a well accident in 1884 and his family continued operating the farm. The home became a social center where community dances were held and served as a polling place during elections. The home remained in the Ebers family until 1962 and from that time until 1980 when Stanley and Barbara Hammer bought it, it was unoccupied and unattended. It was sadly dilapidated, but the Hammer's saw the beauty in the fine old building and have completely renovated and restored it to its former grandeur. In 1983 this house was designated as a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark.