Marker #999 - 1983 The need for a permanent civic center led Comfort business leaders to form a corporation to raise funds for its construction. Designed by Fredericksburg architect Hans Christiansen, the Comfort Community Theatre opened in 1930, providing the town with facilities for basketball, dances, civic meetings, stage plays, and private parties. It was later used as a movie theatre and enjoyed much success under the ownership of Hank Zimmerman from 1947 until 1964. The Comfort Community Theatre continues today as a performing arts center as well as a civic meeting hall. Incise on base: Purchased and restored by Richard and Dorothy Britt. (1983)
Business leaders formed a corporation to build a civic center to provide facilities for basketball, dances, plays; then a movie house. Marker was spearheaded by Dorothy and Richart Britt. Designated Texas Historical Landmark in 1984.
Photo Credit: Bryden Moon