Marker #1546 - 1980. A native of Germany, Julius Fabra (1827-1910) migrated to this area in 1854. After working as a freight hauler, he opened a meat market to serve the local farms. His son Ludwig (1858-1929) joined the business at the age of eighteen and constructed this smokehouse for the store in 1887. Originally a one-story structure, it was built of native limestone. A second story was added in 1904. Following Ludwig's death, his son Henry operated the market until he retired in 1962. The smokehouse is all that remains of the Fabra family business which spanned three generations.
(Smokehouse on S side of 194 Main Street building - Boerne.)
Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)