Stieler Ranch House - Marker in/near Comfort

Marker #5120 - 1970 Designed and built 1890-1892 by Herman Stieler, German rock mason and local sheep rancher. He came from Germany; hauled freight for Charles Schreiner Company and to Camp Verde. Made this place a shearing station for fellow ranchers. Coaches from nearby stage line often stopped for food, repairs. Style is typical of era. Each floor has two rooms on either side of central "dog trot" hall. Interior was remodeled in 1937. (at site, U.S. 87, 6 mile N of Comfort, Texas)


0 views