Tunnel of the Fredericksburg & Northern Railway - Marker in/near Comfort

Marker #5568 - 1978 In 1913 area residents raised money to build a railroad linking Fredericksburg to San Antonio. The 920-foot tunnel beneath this hill increased the cost by $134,000 and required five months of hard labor. It opened a faster trade route for area merchants and farmers. Each time passenger trains entered the tunnel, small rocks, loosened by engine exhaust, were removed from the track and the windows closed to keep out coal smoke. The railroad operated until 1942 when the trackage was sold for scrap. Incise in base: Marker Sponsor: S. O. A. W. Enterprises, Inc. (1978) (at tunnel overlook, from Comfort take FM 473 east about 4 miles - turn N onto county road and continue about 9 miles to marker)



0 views