Marker #5719 - 1986 Anglo pioneers in a predominantly German-settled area built the west wing of this building in 1891. Land for this first public school was given by Robert Percival Maxwell Waring, a native of Ireland for whom the town had been named in 1888. Citizens volunteered labor, funds, and materials for the building, and paid their children's tuition of $1 to $1.50 per month. The east wing was added in 1903, and exterior braces were applied in the 1930s. The school closed in 1954. (108 Avenue, Waring - from Comfort take IH-10 2 miles S, then FM 1621 5 miles E to Waring)
Some years there was a shortage of money to pay the teachers, so a tuition fee was paid for each pupil. some years it was one dollar a month, or some $1.50, and that was hard on large families at times. Teachers' pay varied, too, from maybe $50.00 to $100.00 a month or more. Some years there were two teachers, depending on the number of pupils. New settlers were coming to Waring, and that brought more children. The railroad had its section hands headquartered in Waring so there were always some Mexican children in school. At times there were as many as 60 or 70 pupils attending school.
Some of the early families were: Zoeller, Treiber, Waring, Nowlin, Manning, Stribling, Haufler, Geisler, Willie, Offer, Nichol, Bierschwale, Insall, Quigley, Safford, Cravey, Stanfield, Uecker, Fischer, Edwards, Rust, Meckel, Wray, Domeier, Marshall, McAlpine, McNutt, Dart, Brown, Jess, Hennings, Leidl, Voight, Wollschlaeger, Strube, Tomlinson, Grullimund, Blaschke, Poehnert and others.<BR.
Listed below are some of the teachers that taught in the Waring School through the years 1891 to 1955 when the school was consolidated with the Comfort Independent School District.
TEACHERS: Miss Agnes Robinson, later Mrs. R.P.M. Waring, was the first teacher
and taught for several years. Mr. and Mrs. William Lee, 1903. He passed away later that year and is buried in the
L.A. Koenig and Mary Norris, 1903.
M.C.F. Schmidt and Ethel Weld, 1907.
Prof. Wertheim and daughter, Rosie, 1908, 1909.
Emil Hopf and Miss Tiner, 1912.
Henry Hopf and Frankie Flack, 1915.
Rose Thompson and Frankie Flack, 1916.
Miss dilly Rumsey and Ruth Newton, 1915.
Augusta Gaines and Ella Zoeller, 1916.
Marguerite McFarland and Ella Esser, 1917.
Mr. and Mrs. Ashmore Cowles had a private school at this time, but he taught in the
Waring school at another time also. They had 29 pupils in their private school in 1918.
Danny Ramft (Vogt) and Mrs. Welch, 1921
Miss Willhelm and Mrs. Jake Insall, 1922.
J.H. Armstrong and Danny Ramft Vogt, 1923.
J.H. Armstrong and Mrs. Baughman, 1924.
J.H. Armstrong and Sophie Wenzel, 1925.
Morris Goforth and Norma George, 1926.
R.E. Cottingham and Helen Kutz, 1927.
H.K. Clump and Mrs. Paul Wendler, 1928.
Noel Browning and Eva Rechenthin, 1929.
James Seay and Eva Rechenthin, 1930.
Anita Elsik and Mrs. Paul Wendler, 1932.
Mrs. Mina Adams and Mrs. Paul Wendler, 1933.
Mrs. Mina Adams and Mrs. Truitt, 1934-1935.
Harold Ranzau and Nanny Maud Sommerville, 1936.
Mrs. Buena Lea Sutton, 1939-1944.
Beulah White, 1946.
Lucille Dills, 1947.
Mrs. Walker, 1948.
Odis Strube Hohmann, 1949-1954, the last teacher.
The building is still used as a community center.
Photo Credit: Janis and Ted Maxymof